Friday, January 09, 2009

George has Laryngitis


Now, before I even get any farther, I know that there are going to be some of you who will read the title and think that a dog with laryngitis is a good thing.  

Dog + Laryngitis = No Barking. 

I will even go so far as to say that some would feel a dog who cannot bark would be the perfect dog (you know who you are).  For these people, I am going to have to disappoint you here: George can still bark. 

The problem is that is it not a normal bark. It is a sometimes raspy, sometimes high pitched squealing sort of bark. It is not pleasant. And it also means that after pretty much non-stop barking for an extended period of time (that would be the time he spent being boarded while the kids and I were in Michigan for the Holidays) he has damaged his vocal cords. 

Not permanent damage. It is nothing that can't be cured by not trying to bark for about two weeks. But try explaining to him that he needs to rest and not "speak" for a couple weeks. I would probably have better luck getting Grace to do that (although it would be close). 

So now I am left feeling awful for leaving him for so long. But he is paying us back by sounding like a pack a day smoker who swallowed a squeaky toy or two.  I think I will make him some tea and honey. 

No comments: