Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Book Review: The Dangerous Days of Daniel X


I really want to raise readers. It is important to me that my kids like to read and like to talk about what they read as well. So far, the girls love to pour over books themselves and love even more to have someone read to them. I am hoping that Michael will follow in their footsteps as he gets older, and I think books like this one will help ensure that is happens. 

The father of a 10 year old son, James Patterson has taken the challenge of engaging reluctant readers with his writing, making it incredibly visual, reminding many of comic books and action movies.  (He is pretty successful with the adult crowd already, so why not branch out?)

It begins with the death of Daniel's parents, and what follows are his adventures in finding those responsible. A lot of action, drama, and a bit of humor follow along with this wonderful character. 

While at first glance, it may seem that story line may bend toward the male gender, but I have to admit I was taken in.  It was fast paced and made me stay involved, wanting to know what was going to happen next. Normally science fiction would not be something I would seek out, but good writing is good writing, and this did not disappoint. 

If you are looking for something to engage your reluctant reader, or to fulfill someone with an interest in action from beginning to end, pick up a copy of The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson. 



No comments: